More about Chapslee Palace
In a city where moldering colonial mansions are a dime a dozen, Chapslee Palace stands apart. Built in 1835, it is the grandest and best preserved of Shimla’s hill estates. Soon after construction, Chapslee was acquired by Lord Auckland, then Governor General of the East India Company. Later owned by the late Hon'ble Raja Charanjit Singh of Kapurthala (the last Raj), the mansion remains evocative of a bygone era. Lady Penelope Betjeman once remarked “If Simla is the queen of the hills, then Chapslee is its crown..." In the same family for 75 years, it has recently been converted into a boutique hotel to pay the bills. But fear not, Chapslee retains great atmosphere and more than a few cobwebs.